In Our Prayers...
THE PRAYERS OF THE CHURCH ARE REQUESTED:
You are encouraged to receive Communion regardless of denominational affiliation or church membership. All our tables are open, in the sanctuary today and on our patio during the week where hundreds receive their daily bread. Restrooms are available as you leave the sanctuary to the right. Parking is available in the first two lots above the patio (numbered and visitor spaces); do not park in the “The Tower” lot (nearest Beech Street).
First Lutheran celebrates your presence with us on this Sixth Sunday of Easter. If you are looking for a church home, we would love for you to join our church family. You are welcome to receive Holy Communion regardless of denominational affiliation or church membership: all our tables are open, here in the sanctuary and on our patio where hungry people receive their daily bread on Mondays and Fridays. There is a nursery for little ones throughout the morning (see an usher for directions).
The Transition Team is hosting their final Focused Conversation today at 10:10AM. Please plan to join us—your input is extremely valuable during this time of transition! These two items will be the focus of our conversation: 1) Name two areas of activity or focus you feel our new pastor should give special attention to in his or her first two years of ministry at First Lutheran Church and 2) Name two ways you will support the new pastor in his or her work during the first two years of ministry at First Lutheran Church.
The New Member’s classes will be held 12:30-1:15 or 1:30PM today, June 4, and June 11, and we will welcome our new members on June 25. If you are interested in becoming a member, you may sign up on the sheet in the Narthex.
Help Wanted: FLC is seeking two Church Nursery Care Givers. For more information, please check the advertisement that is on the kiosk.
San Diego Pride Parade: We are looking to have a marching presence in the Pride Parade, which will be Saturday, July 15, at 11:00AM. We will need at least 20 people. If you are interested, please sign up on the list in the Narthex or let Joe DeMers know so that we can submit an application. You can reach him at email@example.com or 619-829-3323.
Sunday school will be held at 11:00AM. Ages 4-7 will meet in the lounge (3-yr-olds welcome with a parent), and ages 8-11 will meet in the library. We are in need of assistants for the classes. If you are interested, please contact Marie Ruth or Martha Radatz to volunteer.
Weekend Retreat October 13-15 at the Old Mission San Luis Rey: You’re invited to join Pastor Darryl and Beth Slevcove as they lead a weekend retreat on exploring, discussing, and incorporating monastic practices and disciplines in our secular life. There is a sign-up sheet in the Narthex. For more information, please speak with Pastor Darryl.
The Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon will be on Sunday, June 4 this year: Pentecost Sunday. Ash Street will be closed, so we have alternate access passes to be able to come the wrong way down Third from Beech in order to enter the parking lot. More information about road closures is available at http://www.runrocknroll.com/san-diego/the-races/road-closures/
Save your donations and mark your calendar: June 24 (7AM-1PM)is TACO’s 7th annual Homeless Treasures Rummage Sale. It will be held at Clairemont Lutheran Church, 4271 Clairemont Mesa Blvd., San Diego, 92117. Donations and volunteers are still needed! Questions? Contact Martha Radatz.
Call Committee Applications: If you would like to be considered for the Call Committee, please fill out an application (found in the Narthex) and return it to the plastic bin labeled “Call Committee Applications.” If you have any questions, contact Pastor Darryl.
Our Jared Jacobsen will be playing a free concert on the famed Spreckels Outdoor Organ in Balboa Park on Sunday, May 28, at 2PM. This will be the last opportunity to hear him play on this, the world’s largest fully-outdoor pipe organ, before he leaves for his summer position at the Chautauqua Institution in western New York State.
The Living Lutheran magazine provides the latest news, regional and global mission stories, spiritual reflections and resources from the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). The cost of a yearly subscription is $15. If you wish to resubscribe, newly subscribe, or support this ministry, please place a check for $15 in envelope payable to “First Lutheran Church” noting “Living Lutheran” in the memo line.
First Lutheran Church has an electronic option for making regular offerings. Contributions can be debited automatically from your checking or savings account. The program is called Simply Giving, and the authorization forms are available in the grey folder on the kiosk or from the church office.
Readings for next Sunday, Seventh Sunday of Easter: Acts 1:6-14; Psalm 68:1-10, 32-35; 1 Peter 4:12-14; 5:6-11; John 17:1-11
- +Those celebrating birthdays: Kristin Westerman (May 21), Diana Foley (May 21), Katie Diepholz (May 23), Leah Carter (May 24), Pat Hendrickson (May 25)
- +Members Melodie Baker, Penny Corrigan, Richard Elliott, Mary Ann Horton, Dorothy Hunter, Jared Jacobsen, Francie Montgomery, David Oakes
- +Our homebound members: Louise Dyer, Geraldine Engelke, Barbara Hagen, Rose Couchman
- +Family and friends: Melodie Baker’s cousins Georgia & Chris; John & Meg Davis’ niece Jenn; Katie Diepholz’s mother Linda and her friend Leslie; Mary Goddard’s brother Ron; Ginger Hallerberg’s son Joel; Frank Jessie’s son-in-law Oviedo; Jenny Mehlow’s father Clarence; Francie Montgomery’s son-in-law Adam and daughter Katie; Elizabeth Moss’s father Buelon; Melinda Person’s son Spencer; Suzanne & John Pew’s friend Gary; Ladonna Piper’s daughter Paula & brother Leon; Nate & Naomi Pratt & family; Debby Hays’s former student Shelly; Ruth Clayton’s grandson Jacob; Francie Montgomery’s friend Nicole; Kathy Boeckelman’s grandson TJ and brother Jack; Dorothy Petry’s family and friends; Russ & Heidi Hoxie’s son Mark; Family and friends of Bob Hendrickson; Dorothy Hunter’s sister Lynn & her family; Carol McGrath’s sister Nancy; Aaron Robinson’s father Lewis; Katie Tucker’s daughter Katelyn; Ruthann Maxwell’s neighbor Roger Irle; Carolyn Pohl’s family and friends
- +Those serving in the military: Jason McKay, Elizabeth Moss, the Rev. Glenn Orris, Will Pierce, Aaron & Mary Robinson, Brian Taylor, John Tozer, Kim Tozer, Jeremy Bronner (Kathryn Kanaan’s nephew), Garrett Cooley (Kem Taylor’s nephew)
- +Presiding Bishop Elizabeth Eaton-Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and Bishop Andy Taylor-Pacifica Synod/ELCA
The Pulsebeat online
The May 2017 issue of First Lutheran's
newsletter, The Pulsebeat is available in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format.