In Our Prayers...
THE PRAYERS OF THE CHURCH ARE REQUESTED:
You are encouraged to receive Communion regardless of denominational affiliation or church membership. All our tables are open, in the sanctuary today and on our patio during the week where hundreds receive their daily bread. Restrooms are available as you leave the sanctuary to the right. Parking is available in the first two lots above the patio (numbered and visitor spaces); do not park in the “The Tower” lot (nearest Beech Street).
First Lutheran celebrates your presence with us on this Tenth Sunday after Pentecost. If you are looking for a church home, we would love for you to join our church family. You are welcome to receive Holy Communion regardless of denominational affiliation or church membership: all our tables are open, here in the sanctuary and on our patio where hungry people receive their daily bread on Mondays and Fridays. There is a nursery for little ones throughout the morning (see an usher for directions).
Attention Middle and High School youth! Save this date for a bonfire at the beach: Saturday, August 19 from 4:00-9:00PM. We will gather at North Beach on Coronado. More details will be available soon, but if you’re interested in going, please email Pastor Darryl at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can update you and give more specifics. And be sure to invite your friends!
Sign-up Sheets: There are a large number of sign-up sheets out right now, but don’t forget to check the usual ones – there are a large number of openings in the flower and candle charts, and especially the refreshment sign-up sheet!
Nursery Attendants: As of August 1, we will cut down to 1 Panda attendant. We require that there always be at least 2 adults with the children, and are asking the congregation (especially those with the small children) to sign up to fill the second position every week. Please sign up on the sheet near the name tags.
From Sheri Bengston: Thank you so much First Lutheran friends for your loving prayers for my heart surgery and ongoing recovery!
Email Prayer Chain: In an effort to focus our prayers, we will be starting an email prayer chain. We will ask the specific reason for the prayer or thanksgiving and will ask that a monthly update be sent to the office administrator for distribution. Please sign up near the name tags with your name and email address.
FLC Book Group will meet Thursday August 17, 7PM at the home of Martha Radatz to discuss our August selection, The Hamilton Affair by Elizabeth Cobbs. We will be picking books for the next 6 months, so please bring suggestions. Most importantly, bring yourselves! First timers are welcome to start at any time.
Your Favorite Hymn: What is one of your much loved hymns? What images, colors or feelings does it evoke for you? Our next art show will be just that: work inspired by a favorite hymn and you are invited to join the celebration with an original interpretation in any medium that can be safely displayed in the lounge or printed in a bulletin (for instance, a poem). We are aiming for the end of August - details will follow soon.
Weekend Retreat October 13-15 at the Old Mission San Luis Rey: You’re invited to join Pastor Darryl and Beth Slevcove as they lead a weekend retreat on exploring, discussing, and incorporating monastic practices and disciplines in our secular life. There is a sign-up sheet in the Narthex. For more information, please speak with Pastor Darryl.
The Living Lutheran magazine provides the latest news, regional and global mission stories, spiritual reflections and resources from the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). The cost of a yearly subscription is $15. If you wish to resubscribe, newly subscribe, or support this ministry, please place a check for $15 in envelope payable to “First Lutheran Church” noting “Living Lutheran” in the memo line.
First Lutheran Church has an electronic option for making regular offerings. Contributions can be debited automatically from your checking or savings account. The program is called Simply Giving, and the authorization forms are available in the grey folder on the kiosk or from the church office.
Pride T-Shirts: There are still some Pride shirts available, and if there is interest, we can order more. Please contact Joe DeMers if you are interested.
Bible Study: Pastor Darryl has begun a new Bible study and educational opportunity that focuses on the Lectionary, the appointed readings for the upcoming Sunday. Classes will be in the church library on Wednesdays: one 1:15-2:15PM and the other 6:30-7:30PM. Both studies will be the same, so you’re invited to participate in either one of the sessions.
Readings for next Sunday, Eleventh Sunday after Pentecost: Isaiah 56:1, 6-8; Psalm 67; Romans 11:1-2a, 29-32; Matthew 15: (10-20), 21-28
- +Those celebrating birthdays: Ellen Street (August 13), Dawn Moats (August 13), Scott Ruth (August 16), Sebastian Hallerberg-Junginger (August 16), Hannah DeMers (August 16), Loren Harrell (August 16), Rebecca Kjonegaard (August 18)
- +Members Dennis Arenas, Melodie Baker, Penny Corrigan, Matt Eckert, Paul Finneseth, Mary Ann Horton, Dorothy Hunter, Francie Montgomery, David Oakes, Leon Stevens
- +Our homebound members: Geraldine Engelke, Barbara Hagen, Rose Couchman
- +Family and friends: Melodie Baker’s cousins Georgia & Chris; Kathy Boeckelman’s grandson TJ and brother Jack; Ruth Clayton’s grandson Jacob; John & Meg Davis’ niece Jenn; Katie Diepholz’s mother Linda and her friend Leslie; Richard Elliott and his family; Mary Goddard’s brother Ron; Ginger Hallerberg’s son Joel; Debby Hays’s former student Shelly; Russ & Heidi Hoxie’s son Mark; Dorothy Hunter’s sister Lynn & her family; Frank Jessie’s son-in-law Oviedo; Sonia Majidzadehgorjani’s husband, Alireza; Ruthann Maxwell’s neighbor Roger Irle; Carol McGrath’s sister Nancy; Jenny Mehlow’s father Clarence; Francie Montgomery’s son-in-law Adam and daughter Katie; Elizabeth Moss’s father Buelon; Melinda Person’s son Spencer; Suzanne & John Pew’s daughter Amy; Ladonna Piper’s daughter Paula & brother Leon; Nate & Naomi Pratt & family; Aaron Robinson’s father Lewis; Kem Taylor’s sister Melinda; Katie Tucker’s daughter Katelyn; Pastor Darryl’s family and his friend Worthie; Louise Dyer’s family and friends
- +Those serving in the military: Jason McKay, Elizabeth Moss, the Rev. Glenn Orris, Will Pierce, Aaron & Mary Robinson, Brian Taylor, John Tozer, Kim Tozer, Jeremy Bronner (Kathryn Kanaan’s nephew)
- +Presiding Bishop Elizabeth Eaton-Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and Bishop Andy Taylor-Pacifica Synod/ELCA
The Pulsebeat online
The August 2017 issue of First Lutheran's
newsletter, The Pulsebeat is available in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format.