In Our Prayers...
THE PRAYERS OF THE CHURCH ARE REQUESTED:
You are encouraged to receive Communion regardless of denominational affiliation or church membership. All our tables are open, in the sanctuary today and on our patio during the week where hundreds receive their daily bread. Restrooms are available as you leave the sanctuary to the right. Parking is available in the first two lots above the patio (numbered and visitor spaces); do not park in the “The Tower” lot (nearest Beech Street).
First Lutheran celebrates your presence with us on this Second Sunday after Pentecost. If you are looking for a church home, we would love for you to join our church family. You are welcome to receive Holy Communion regardless of denominational affiliation or church membership: all our tables are open, here in the sanctuary and on our patio where hungry people receive their daily bread on Mondays and Fridays. There is a nursery for little ones throughout the morning (see an usher for directions).
Bible Study: Pastor Darryl has begun a new Bible study and educational opportunity that focuses on the Lectionary, the appointed readings for the upcoming Sunday, a chance to delve into the texts and understand how God speaks to us in the Word. Classes will be in the church library on Wednesdays: one 1:15-2:15PM and the other 6:30-7:30PM. Both studies will be the same, so you’re invited to participate in either one of the sessions.
Sign-up Sheets: There are a large number of sign-up sheets out right now, but don’t forget to check the usual ones – there are a large number of openings in the flower and candle charts, as well as the refreshment sign-up sheet. And we could always use more greeters!
Sunday School has concluded for the year, and will resume in September. Enjoy Pastor Darryl’s children’s sermons this summer!
Call Committee Applications: If you would like to be considered for the Call Committee, please fill out an application (found in the Narthex) and return it to the plastic bin labeled “Call Committee Applications” before Tuesday, June 20. If you have any questions, contact Pastor Darryl.
Help Wanted: FLC is seeking two Church Nursery Care Givers. For more information, please check the advertisement that is on the kiosk.
San Diego Pride Parade: We are looking to have a marching presence in the Pride Parade, which will be Saturday, July 15, at 11:00AM. We will need at least 20 people. If you are interested, please sign up on the list in the Narthex or let Joe DeMers know so that we can submit an application.
Weekend Retreat October 13-15 at the Old Mission San Luis Rey: You’re invited to join Pastor Darryl and Beth Slevcove as they lead a weekend retreat on exploring, discussing, and incorporating monastic practices and disciplines in our secular life. There is a sign-up sheet in the Narthex. For more information, please speak with Pastor Darryl.
Happy Father’s Day! Homeless Treasures’ donation collection begins today. Items that were brought to church today will be trucked up to the sale. If you have other donations still at home, it’s not too late...Bring them to Clairemont Lutheran (4271 Clairemont Mesa Blvd., San Diego, 92117), Monday through Thursday. And mark your calendar…June 24 (7AM-1PM) is the day! And it’s not too late to volunteer!! ! Questions? Contact Martha Radatz.
The Living Lutheran magazine provides the latest news, regional and global mission stories, spiritual reflections and resources from the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). The cost of a yearly subscription is $15. If you wish to resubscribe, newly subscribe, or support this ministry, please place a check for $15 in envelope payable to “First Lutheran Church” noting “Living Lutheran” in the memo line.
First Lutheran Church has an electronic option for making regular offerings. Contributions can be debited automatically from your checking or savings account. The program is called Simply Giving, and the authorization forms are available in the grey folder on the kiosk or from the church office.
Readings for next Sunday, Third Sunday after Pentecost: Jeremiah 20:7-13; Psalm 69:7-10, (11-15), 16-18; Romans 6:1b-11; Matthew 10:24-39
- +Those celebrating birthdays: Tony Quintana (June 20), Joe DeMers (June 20), Frank Jessie III (June 23)
- +Members Dennis Arenas, Melodie Baker, Sheri Bengtson, Penny Corrigan, Matt Eckert, Mary Ann Horton, Dorothy Hunter, Francie Montgomery, David Oakes
- +Our homebound members: Louise Dyer, Geraldine Engelke, Barbara Hagen, Rose Couchman
- +Family and friends: Melodie Baker’s cousins Georgia & Chris; John & Meg Davis’ niece Jenn; Katie Diepholz’s mother Linda and her friend Leslie; Mary Goddard’s brother Ron; Ginger Hallerberg’s son Joel; Frank Jessie’s son-in-law Oviedo; Jenny Mehlow’s father Clarence; Francie Montgomery’s son-in-law Adam and daughter Katie; Elizabeth Moss’s father Buelon; Melinda Person’s son Spencer; Suzanne & John Pew’s friend Gary; Ladonna Piper’s daughter Paula & brother Leon; Nate & Naomi Pratt & family; Debby Hays’s former student Shelly; Ruth Clayton’s grandson Jacob; Francie Montgomery’s friend Nicole; Kathy Boeckelman’s grandson TJ and brother Jack; Russ & Heidi Hoxie’s son Mark; Family and friends of Bob Hendrickson; Dorothy Hunter’s sister Lynn & her family; Carol McGrath’s sister Nancy; Aaron Robinson’s father Lewis; Katie Tucker’s daughter Katelyn; Ruthann Maxwell’s neighbor Roger Irle; Carolyn Pohl’s family and friends; Richard Elliott's daughter Laurie; Sonia Majidzadehgorjani’s husband, Alireza; Kem Taylor’s sister Melinda; Pastor Darryl’s friend Worthie
- +Those serving in the military: Jason McKay, Elizabeth Moss, the Rev. Glenn Orris, Will Pierce, Aaron & Mary Robinson, Brian Taylor, John Tozer, Kim Tozer, Jeremy Bronner (Kathryn Kanaan’s nephew), Garrett Cooley (Kem Taylor’s nephew)
- +Presiding Bishop Elizabeth Eaton-Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and Bishop Andy Taylor-Pacifica Synod/ELCA
The Pulsebeat online
The June 2017 issue of First Lutheran's
newsletter, The Pulsebeat is available in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format.