In Our Prayers...
THE PRAYERS OF THE CHURCH ARE REQUESTED:
You are encouraged to receive Communion regardless of denominational affiliation or church membership. All our tables are open, in the sanctuary today and on our patio during the week where hundreds receive their daily bread. Restrooms are available as you leave the sanctuary to the right. Parking is available in the first two lots above the patio (numbered and visitor spaces); do not park in the “The Tower” lot (nearest Beech Street).
First Lutheran celebrates your presence with us on this Fourteenth Sunday after Pentecost. If you are looking for a church home, we would love for you to join our church family. You are welcome to receive Holy Communion regardless of denominational affiliation or church membership: all our tables are open, here in the sanctuary and on our patio where hungry people receive their daily bread on Mondays and Fridays. There is a nursery for little ones throughout the morning (see an usher for directions).
Back to School…and Sunday School! Classes will begin today at 11:00AM. Ages 4-7 (3-yr-old with a parent) will meet in the Lounge and ages 8-12 will meet in the Library. Children will rejoin the worshipping congregation at the Passing of the Peace.
The Call committee is meeting & being trained by the Synod office in preparation for the first round of candidates. You may submit a name to the Call Committee chairman, Lori Gremel and she will send it up to the Synod Office to be vetted as a possible candidate. The call committee has been asked to keep its process confidential so members will not be able to share information about “how it is going.” Pray for us as we pray for our process to bring us our new Pastor.
The TV premiere of Martin Luther: The Idea that Changed the World is Tuesday, September 12, 8:00-10:00PM on KPBS. The film, produced in recognition of the 500th anniversary of the Reformation, recounts the story of an obscure monk who challenged the church, kings, and Popes, sparking the Reformation, a movement that would fuel the drive toward individualism, religious freedom, improved education, and women’s rights. The local KPBS channel airs the program on Tuesday, September 12, at 8:00PM and re-airs on KPBS2 on September 18th at 11:00AM.
Nursery Attendants: As of August 1, we have cut down to 1 Panda attendant. We require that there always be at least 2 adults with the children, and are asking the congregation (especially those with the small children) to sign up to fill the second position every week. Please sign up on the sheet near the name tags.
Favorite Hymns Art Show: The latest display of First Lutheran’s many talented artists is hanging in the lobby. Take a few minutes on this morning to check it out!
FLC Book Group will meet Thursday, September 21, 7:00PM at the Community Room of Susan White’s condo to discuss their September selection, The Whistler by John Grisham. Meeting will be hosted by Carol Schultz and Francie Montgomery. All are welcome!
Sign-up Sheets: There are a large number of sign-up sheets out right now, but don’t forget to check the usual ones – we are in desperate need of ushers, greeters, and altar guild members. These jobs are really very easy, and there are instructions available. If you are interested, please see Ladonna Piper or Hannah DeMers.
Email Prayer Chain: In an effort to focus our prayers, we will be starting an email prayer chain. We will ask the specific reason for the prayer or thanksgiving and will ask that a monthly update be sent to the office administrator for distribution. Please sign up near the name tags with your name and email address.
The Living Lutheran magazine provides the latest news, regional and global mission stories, spiritual reflections and resources from the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). The cost of a yearly subscription is $15. If you wish to resubscribe, newly subscribe, or support this ministry, please place a check for $15 in envelope payable to “First Lutheran Church” noting “Living Lutheran” in the memo line.
First Lutheran Church has an electronic option for making regular offerings. Contributions can be debited automatically from your checking or savings account. The program is called Simply Giving, and the authorization forms are available in the grey folder on the kiosk or from the church office.
Readings for next Sunday, Fifteenth Sunday after Pentecost: Genesis 50:15-21; Psalm 103:(1-7), 8-13; Romans 14:1-12; Matthew 18:21-35
- +Those celebrating birthdays: Karen Boyd (September 10), Karen Kearns (September 12), John Hoff (September 13), David Pohl (September 14), Jim Lewis (September 16)
- +Members Dennis Arenas, Melodie Baker, Penny Corrigan, Matt Eckert, Paul Finneseth, Mary Ann Horton, Dorothy Hunter, Francie Montgomery, David Oakes, David Pohl, Aaron & Mary Robinson, Jennifer Siverts
- +Our homebound members: Geraldine Engelke, Rose Couchman
- +Family and friends: Melodie Baker’s cousins Georgia & Chris; Kathy Boeckelman’s grandson TJ and brother Jack; Ruth Clayton’s grandson Jacob; John & Meg Davis’ niece Jenn; Katie Diepholz’s mother Linda and her friend Leslie; Mary Goddard’s brother Ron; Ginger Hallerberg’s son Joel; Debby Hays’s former student Shelly; Russ & Heidi Hoxie’s son Mark; Dorothy Hunter’s sister Lynn; Frank Jessie’s son-in-law Oviedo; Sonia Majidzadehgorjani’s husband, Alireza; Ruthann Maxwell’s neighbor Roger Irle; Carol McGrath’s sister Nancy; Jenny Mehlow’s father Clarence; Francie Montgomery’s son-in-law Adam and daughter Katie; Elizabeth Moss’s father Buelon; Melinda Person’s son Spencer; Suzanne & John Pew’s daughter Amy; Ladonna Piper’s daughter Paula & brother Leon; Nate & Naomi Pratt & family; Aaron Robinson’s father Lewis; Kem Taylor’s sister Melinda; Katie Tucker’s daughter Katelyn; Pastor Darryl’s family and his friend Worthie; Barbara Hagen’s family & friends
- +Those serving in the military: Jason McKay, Elizabeth Moss, the Rev. Glenn Orris, Will Pierce, Aaron & Mary Robinson, Brian Taylor, John Tozer, Kim Tozer, Jeremy Bronner (Kathryn Kanaan’s nephew)
- +Presiding Bishop Elizabeth Eaton-Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and Bishop Andy Taylor-Pacifica Synod/ELCA
The Pulsebeat online
The September 2017 issue of First Lutheran's
newsletter, The Pulsebeat is available in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format.